Updated 29 August 2013
Chindia Alert blog is a continuously updated component of our website Chindia Alert: You’ll be Living in their World , very soon that aims to alert you to the threats and opportunities that China and India present. China and India require serious attention; case of ‘hidden dragon and crouching tiger’. Without this attention, governments, businesses and, indeed, individuals may find themselves at a great disadvantage sooner rather than later.
Chindia is a virtual land of China and India. This land will remain virtual – at least for the foreseeable future. Although Chindia may never become a real entity, China and India individually will have a dramatic impact on the world stage in the foreseeable future. You’ll be living in their world – very soon.
There is not only huge interest in China and India, but there is an over abundance of information. You can hardly open a newspaper without at least one article on China or India. However, as we know, having lots of information available does not necessarily make one any wiser.
Our website attempts to make the information more meaningful by putting some order or structure to the information.
Chindia Alert: You’ll be Living in their World, very soon – aims to alert you to the threats and opportunities that China and India present
There is not only huge interest in Chindia: China and India, but there is an over abundance of information. You can hardly open a newspaper without at least one article on China or India. However, as we know, having lots of information available does not necessarily make one any wiser.
This website attempts to make the information more meaningful by putting some order or structure to the information. Due to the eclectic nature of the content, the website may be of interest and use to anyone interested in the evolution of global economics and politics. However, we think it should be of particular interest to:
- Professionals such as lawyers, accountants and management consultants who are specialising in the emerging China or India.
- Business investors who intend to open up business out there, and wish to immerse themselves in what motivates and influences local decision making.
- Public sector employees and politicians who have access to much information that is not easily digestible, and lacking insights into the history and culture of those nations.
- Business school professors and students who are not specialists in this area of the world but whose specialisms are increasingly being affected by the Chindia phenomenon.
- Media people who are not specialised in China/India who need to develop a relatively quick understanding of the trends in Chindia and how these might affect an area in which they have a specific interest.
- Holiday makers, particularly those who like to prepare by soaking up as much of the history and culture before spending time out there.
- Joe and Jane public whose interest has been aroused by recent developments in that part of the world.
There are innumerable misconceptions, myths and even misinformation about China and India.
This website will try to correct these by:
- Starting with a brief recap of the long history of both nations – to provide a context for their attitudes towards the West.
- Examining their social and cultural differences and similarities.
- Moving on to economics post glasnost – uncovering the myth that China is mainly about manufacturing and India about services.
- Analysing the political situation – including some serious causes for concern; and a brief geopolitical sit-rep.
- Giving you our prognosis for the medium-term future.
Chindia Alert Unlimited is a virtual organisation of one person, the author!
This website – Chindia Alert – is largely a personal view, compiled since 2006, of the two countries that had the most influence on my formative years. I have spent more time in the west (over 40 years, of which the longest has been in Britain); but one doesn’t forget where one was born (Shanghai), and where one was brought up and educated (Calcutta). I obtained a first degree from IIT, Kharagpur, India and completed my education with Masters Degrees from NYIT and NYU.
I am not an economist, an academic or a journalist. I was a management consultant and research analyst for 30 years (working for Butler Cox, CSC Index, Wentworth Research and Gartner – now retired. Prior to that I worked for IBM in the US and ICL in the UK) and I learnt that research is about the ability to read, listen, absorb, challenge and synthesize a wide range of sources and material – these are noted on the Sources page and also referred to in embedded hotlinks. From the best of these to synthesize a coherent picture of the past and present, and a plausible prognosis for the future.
I am a fellow of BCS, the Chartered Institute for IT.
Chindia Alert – is not a static repository of my knowledge and opinions as of the date of the postings. Rather, I plan to update the material – a continuous work-in-progress as it were – as and when new inputs arise and new or revised opinions occur to me. Or as you, my readers, offer inputs, corrections or insights which I intend to include. Please ensure that any material you send me does not infringe any copyright or other intellectual property rights. If you wish, I will attribute any significant new material, insights or corrections to you by name (or pseudonym, if you prefer).
Now that the site is largely complete, I have added a Chindia Alert blog to keep up-to-date and to encourage on-going discussion about Chindia Alert.
If you wish to comment please use the comment box at the bottom of each page and post. If you wish to contact us directly without displaying your message on our pages/posts, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
I would like to caution you that I use WordPress and it uses auto spam detection. So any comment that does not contain any of the meaningful word in my blog or page will be marked as spam. As I get 100s of comments a day, I cannot check each to make sure they are spam or not. So I delete them all. Sorry!
If you want your comments to be retained, please include some meaningful words from my blog or page in your comments. Hope that makes sense.
Please keep reading my blog/pages and making comments. We look forward to hearing from you.
Chindia Alert Unlimited
Website background: acknowledgement
Although we have been collecting material on China and India for many years, the stimulus to develop this website was triggered by a presentation that we developed for Microsoft in 2006 as the keynote address to their annual EMEA sales and marketing conference. We are grateful to Microsoft for commissioning the presentation, and for granting us full IPR to the material. This website contains material that would not fit a 30-45 minute talk!
We are indebted to the authors of the articles and books cited in the Sources section at the end; with more significant ones mentioned in the text. We are also grateful for the content of 100s of websites that we read, many of which are used as hotlinks and the more significant ones are listed in the Sources section.
- “This truly is a ‘two for the price of one’ bargain for those seeking to discover a deeper insight into the Chinese and Indian view of the world, and how we in the west could be affected by it in the future.”
- “I would strongly recommend a reading of this book, followed by a lot of reflection.”
- “This work is a must not only for every scholar involved in Asian Affairs, but also for the academic and generally interested person who wants a factual reference outside the media or politically biased reports.”
For those readers interested in the China pages only, go to: http://www.amazon.com/China-Alert-Beware-Waking-Dragon/dp/1491227613/ref=sr_1_11?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1390316803&sr=1-11&keywords=china+alert
- “Compact new authoritative source for China.” Thomas Bovet, author of The Warrior-Truth
- “Thought provoking insight into little known territory.” Geoff Cod, author of The Drowning Director
- “Profound cultural insight matched with a vast array of facts” Dr. P. C. Burr, author of many books
Presentation of the key points of the Pages on this website
The material that appears on this website: Chindia Alert is for information and entertainment purposes only. Despite our efforts to provide useful and accurate information, errors may appear from time to time. Before you act on information you’ve found on this site, you should confirm any facts that are important to your decision. We make no warranty as to the reliability, accuracy, timeliness, usefulness or completeness of the information on this website.
We are not responsible for, and cannot guarantee the performance of, goods and services provided by our advertisers or others to whose sites we link. A link to another website does not constitute an endorsement by us of that site (nor of any product, service or other material offered on that site).
We have not knowingly infringed any copyright or other intellectual property rights. We attribute our sources where appropriate or through hotlinks to the relevant website. If we have inadvertently infringed copyright or IPR, then as soon as the copyright or IPR owner informs us by emailing email@example.com, we will remove the offending material at the earliest opportunity.